Upper secondary education for adults

Adult education

If you are a pupil in upper secondary education and have statutory rights as an adult, you may borrow up to NOK 114,870 for the full academic year.

You can receive basic support for adult education

All students can receive basic support, and this is what most people call a student loan.

If you are required to pay tuition fees, you may also receive a loan for tuition fees.

Part-time education means a reduced loan

How much loan and grant you can receive from Lånekassen depends on whether you are taking a full-time or part-time education, and when your are taking the education. We calculate your part-time percentage based on how many subjects you are attending and how many annual hours the subjects constitute.

If you are taking adult education and you have statutory rights as an adult, you may receive support for full-time education even if you are exempt from physical education.

Application deadlines

You must have a study place before applying, and you may apply no earlier then mid-May. The final deadline for applying is

  • 15 November for the entire year or just the autumn semester
  • 15 March for the spring semester

The loan is free of interest for as long as you are receiving loans for full-time education

In order for the loan to be free of interest and instalments, you must be taking a student loan for full-time education. When you no longer receive a student loan or go from full- to part-time studies, interest will accrue on the loan and you must start repayments. It will take around seven months from the last time you received a student loan from us until you receive the first bill.

Go to the application

Do you have children?

You may receive extra
loans and grants
if you have or get children

If you have children while studying, you may be entitled to additional loans and grants.

Parental grant in the event of birth or adoption

If you have children while studying, your basic support and additional loan for school fees may be converted to a grant for up to 49 weeks.

Child grant

If you have children below the age of 16, you may qualify for an additional grant. If you have several children, you receive more in grants. The child grant is means tested, which means that the amount is reduced if the family has income or assets in excess of the limits stipulated in the regulations. If you are a part-time student, you also get a smaller amount.

Additional loans

You may also borrow NOK 52,170 extra per year when you have children below the age of 16, with an upward limit of NOK 104,340 in total. Income and assets have no impact on whether you can receive an additional loan. But if you are a part-time student, you will be given an offer to borrow a smaller amount.

Read about children and childbirth

Do you have reduced functional ability?

You may apply for an
extra grant
if you are unable to work besides your studies

If you have reduced functional ability that prevents you from working beside your studies, you may be eligible for an additional grant of NOK 4,000 per month. If you are a part-time student, you get a smaller amount.

You may also receive grants and loans during summer if you are unable to work during the summer holiday. A specialist must confirm that you have reduced functional ability.
You apply for loans and grants due to disability on a separate form.

Read more about reduced functional ability

Are you above the age of 30?

You can apply for up to
NOK 52,170
in additional loans per year

You can borrow up to NOK 52,170 extra per year if you are a full-time student. If you are a part-time student, the maximum amount you are offered to borrow is reduced. You may borrow up to NOK 104,340 in total, and you may choose how many years you want to allocate the loan across. You apply for the loan on the same form as for ordinary loans and grants.

The loan may not be combined with additional loans for those with children.

Go to additional loan


When you will start repayments
See what happens when you have completed your programme of education

Related regulations