You can only get additional loans for tuition fees for online studies abroad.
If you are taking online studies at an educational institution in an EEA country other than Norway, you may be eligible for an additional loan for tuition fees of up to NOK 74,366 per academic year. This means that you cannot get any other support from Lånekassen. It is also not possible to have any part of the loan converted to a grant.
Only programmes of study that are at the same level as higher education in Norway will be eligible for an additional loan for tuition fees. In other words, you cannot receive support for programmes of study that do not correspond to higher education in Norway and also not for programmes of study at educational institutions outside of the EEA.
Which programmes of study are eligible for support?
In order to be eligible for loans for online studies at an educational institution in an EEA country, the programme of study must fulfil the following requirements
- The programme of study can be approved by The Norwegian Directorate for Higher Education and Skills (HK-dir) as equal to studies at Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD level in Norway.
- The programme of study can also be pre-approved as part of studies you are taking in Norway by a university, scientific university college or university college.
- The programme of study must take place online only. Seminar-based studies do not carry eligibility for support from Lånekassen.
Online studies in the United Kingdom
If you have already started degree studies in the United Kingdom that take place online only before 31/12/2020, you may be eligible for tuition fees for as long as the standard period for the programme of study. We do not offer loans for online studies in the United Kingdom that start after 01/01/2021. The reason for this is that the United Kingdom will exit the EU in 2021.
How much can I receive?
You may receive up to NOK 74,366 per academic year to pay tuition fees, but you will only receive a loan for the amount that is actually payable. This means that you will not be eligible for a loan from Lånekassen if you do not pay tuition fees.
If you are studying part-time, you will receive less in an additional loan for tuition fees. The maximum loan you may be eligible for will be reduced in proportion to your part-time study percentage. If, for example, you study 70 per cent of full time studies, you may be eligible for 70 per cent of the full additional loan for tuition fees.
What does it take to get the loan?
In addition to the programme of study being eligible, you also need to meet the general requirements for support. Among other things, this means that you cannot be more than one year behind in your programme of study, you cannot be more than 65 years of age and you cannot receive support for more than eight years in total. There is also a requirement that you must have general study competence.
Read more about the general conditions for support from Lånekassen.
In addition to fulfilling the general conditions, you also need to fulfil the requirements concerning links to Norway.
What documentation do I need to submit?
After applying for an additional loan for tuition fees, you will need to submit the following documentation
- An unconditional offer from the educational institution. The offer letter must specify the programme of study you will be taking and the scope of the programme (number of ECTS/credits per semester)
- Confirmation of the amount you will have to pay in tuition fees
- A certificate from an upper secondary school confirming that you have general study competence.
- If you need to submit documentation relating to your links to Norway, you will be informed of what you need to submit in the application.
You can upload documentation via Dine sider at lanekassen.no or send the documentation by regular post after applying for support.