Grants and loans

Sist oppdatert: 19.05.2020


Grant: money you are given
Loan: money you must pay back
Financial support: sum total of grants and loans

Ordinary upper secondary education

Pupils with legal rights to ordinary upper secondary education may receive financial support from the Lånekassen. 

All upper secondary pupils with legal rights to upper secondary education are entitled to a grant to help cover the cost of learning materials and essential personal equipment. The disbursed amount depends on the education programme you follow. 

All pupils in ordinary upper secondary education may receive:

- an income-dependant grant, which is means tested. How large a basic grant you are eligible to receive depends on your parents' income and assets.

- a non-means-tested housing grant if you have to live away from your parents.

- pupils over the age of 18 are also eligible for a loan which is not means tested of up to NOK 3 323 per month. 

You may also qualify for a travel grant and a child grant. All grants you are entitled to will be given automatically when you apply. 

When you live at home with your parents

Income-dependant grant: Up to NOK 3 344 per month
Loan (only eligible for pupils over 18 years): Up to NOK 3 323 per month
Total grant and loan: Up to NOK 6 667 per month

When you live on you own            Amount
Housing grant:          NOK 4 603 per month
Income-dependant grant
Up to NOK 3 344 per month
Sum grants: Up to NOK 7 947  per month
Loan (only eligible for pupils over 18 years): Up to NOK 3 323 per month
Total grant and loan: Up to NOK 11 270 per month*

Refugee grant

You may qualify for a refugee grant if you are in upper secondary education and have refugee status. You do not qualify for refugee grant if you have residence permit on humanitarian grounds.

If you are in upper secondary education which you are not entitled to by law, any financial support is granted according to the regulations for higher education. 

Higher education and pupils in education other than ordinary upper secondary education

Higher education means education at university or college level. Pupils who are neither attending ordinary upper secondary schools nor taking higher education, but who are engaged in other forms of education that qualify for financial support (county colleges, IT schools, technical vocational schools, etc.) may be eligible for the same financial support as students in higher education.

Everyone can get up to NOK 112 290 for the academic year 2020-2021 (ten months). The total amount is initially given as a loan. If you do not live in the same house as your parents, up to 40 percent of the amount may be converted to a grant. In order to receive maximum grant you have to

  • pass all your exams and achieve your degree
  • earn less than NOK 188 509 in 2020 and/or less than NOK 195 295 in 2021.
  • have assets not exceeding NOK 428 861 in 2020 and assets not exceeding NOK 444 300 in 2021.

If you are married, your spouses assets will also be taken into account. Your collected assets can not exceed NOK 823 663 in 2020 and not exceed NOK 853 315 in 2021 in order to receive maximum grant.

The support remains a loan if you live at home with your parents, even if you pass your exams.

How to apply

  • online application for upper secondary education can be found at, at or your personal pages "Dine sider". Apply as soon as you have accepted your placement offer.
  • online application for higher education can be found at your personal pages "Dine sider". Apply as soon as you have accepted your placement offer.

Additional grants for providing for children

If you have children who have been granted a residence permit and are living with you in Norway, you may be given an additional grant. The size of the grant depends on your income and the income of your spouse, partner, or cohabitant.

Additional loan for school fees

You may receive an additional loan to cover school fees.